Friday, December 28, 2007

In defense of disorganization....

So Mikey's a bit of a planner; I'm definitely not, much to the chagrin of my travel companion, my girlfriend Megan, my family and pretty much everyone else who's had to live with me in a non-professional setting. However, for a trip like this, I think there's something to be said for improvisation.

Yes, we're two ignorant Americans who have never been to Spain, France or the UK before and barely speak any of the native languages, English included.

And yes, we have little clue how to get anywhere aside from that the Paris subway is supposed to rock and I can generally walk without hurting myself. Plus, I'm pretty sure "taxi" is pretty universally understood.

But to two complete newbies overseas, we have the benefit that everything is new. Made a wrong turn? Oh, look, another awesome new street to explore. Can't find the cafe we were pointed to? Probably another around the corner. Can't find our hotel again? Sleep is overrated anyway.

Or perhaps my lonely planet Paris guide book put it better:

Above all [Paris] is a city to discover...Leave [the book] in your hotel or packed away in your rucksack from time to time, and go out and find your own Paris. Jump on the metro or a bus and gt off at a place you've never heard of. Wander through a neighborhood where French mixes easily with Arabic, Bengali or Vietnamese, poke your head into little shops, invite yourself to play basket (basketball) in a park or just lounge on a cafe terrace with a glass of wine and watch Paris pass by. It won't be long before you fall in love with your own Paris and discover that it is enchanting almost everywhere, at any time...

That's how I like to roll.

That said, it's T-3.5 hours and I should probably go pack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah it's quite lovely getting lost in europe, as you're never more than a few steps from an incredible piece of history (or a great pub). major british/french cities are very easy to navigate, with awesome metro systems. since you're american, expect a decent bit of snobbery, especially in paris. not sure about spain, but hey, siesta!